Summary of academic career
- Professor of Materials Science. CINVESTAV-México (1994-to date).
- Fellow of the American Vacuum Society “For his seminal contributions to developing quantitative surface analysis, especially for XPS” (2016).
- Group leader, within the International Standardization Organization (ISO/TC201:SC7), for the development of a standard about the determination of the background in XPS data.
- First Vice Chairman of the E42 Committee (Surface Analysis) of the ASTM (2009-to date).
- Chairman (“Technical Contact”) of subcommittees for the revision of standards related to XPS (background, charge reference).
- Chairman of the surface analysis Terminology Subcommittee (2008-to date).
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Surface and Interface Analysis journal (2015 to date).
- Secretary of the Applied Surface Science Division (2010-2013) of the International Union for Vacuum Science and Technology (IUVSTA).
- Member at Large of the Applied Surface Science Division of the American Vacuum Society (2007-2011).
- “Daniel Schechtman” Chair. Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana (2012-2013).
- President of the Mexican Vacuum Society (2002-2004).
- Visiting Professor, University of Texas at Dallas (2005-2007).
- 90+ papers, 1000+ citations, H-index 14. Graduate students: 10 Ph.D, 12 M.S., 1 B.D.
- Posdoctorate. Electrical Engineering, Stanford University, 1994.
- Ph.D. Applied Physics. Stanford University, 1994.
- M.S. Applied Physics. Stanford University, 1991.
- M.S Physics. CINVESTAV, 1988.
- Bachelor in Physics. Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana, 1985.
Current Main Research Topics:
- Transition metal oxides.
- Background signal in XPS data.
- Mass transport in multilayered nanofilms.